“You know where you are now, and you know where you want to be someday. That distance between where you are, and where you want to be, that’s your adventure.”
I love that quote, but there is a problem. Too many of us don’t realistically know where we are right now, and we don’t have clear dreams about where we want to be or do someday…and so our life is NOT an adventure at all. These are the steps to changing that.
- Clarify where you are.
- You must be committed to being honest with yourself. This is not the time to “gloss over” things or be overly critical. You need to be real.
- You must “own” your life. If we blame others for who we are and where we are we take away from ourselves the ability to be someone better or go somewhere else.
- You must give this some time. Take a realistic look at yourself now, and the do it again and again at least every year, probably more often. Being really clear about “where you are now” is the only way to get a good adventure started.
- Clarify where you want to go.
- Start with just make a big list of “dreams”. Just get them into a list your can use.
- Pick the first one you want to work on.
- Now clearly describe that dream. Make it vivid so you can touch and feel it. The clearer the better.
- Start that adventure!
- Now every week (every day is even better) look at that dream and pick 1 small thing you can do to get a little closer to make the dream come true. Don’t make it too big, just take a step.
- Write down or otherwise record that 1ST (One Small Thing), and do your very best to make that happen,
Of course, all this is built into the Arena Success Group system and the phone app. Just follow this step by step guide.